Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Village

I haven't been able to post here as much as I had hoped. We haven't had super reliable internet access.

The well launch party was yesterday at the school. Our crazy giant bus could not get to the school. It's way back in what they call the jungle. We couldn't take motorcycle taxis because there were too many of us and too much stuff. So we walked. It was between one and two miles, hauling all of our stuff along.

When we got to the school, four hours late (which I don't really understand the reason for and had no control over), there were a bunch of parents sitting in the shade waiting. Many had been there for hours. I felt so bad when I found out, but again the situation was beyond my control.

The kids were excited to see us again. We worked with them two days this week.

We started the ceremony immediately, because rain was on the way. I spoke, Zach spoke, and it started pouring in the middle of his sermon. So, we re-situated everyone in one of the classrooms. Zach finished talking and then a couple other people.

The people seemed excited about the well. After it was over, we gave them some h2o stuff and then headed out. We had decided to cut our time in the village short, leaving yesterday instead of next Tuesday. We thought we had a matatu (van taxi) waiting. But alas, it was hours later before we actually got a ride.

We made it by matatu to Kisumu last night. We are waiting here for the rest of our team to catch up. We will hopefully be back to Nairobi in time for church tomorrow morning. The bus ride to the village was 17 hours with 22 people in the bus. I would guess we averaged 10-15 mph. Awful, awful, awful. I'm not looking forward to the return trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews