Friday, June 1, 2012

This week has been a whirlwind! We left albuquerque early on Monday and landed in Nairobi Tuesday evening. Everything went smoothly and all of our luggage made it! Seems like kind of a big deal when you're traveling with 12 checked 50 lb bags and probably about 10 carry ons.

We hit the ground running on Wednesday morning. The female part of our team - myself, Anneliese and Elise - have been with the kids at the school all week. There are about 180 of them. They've been such a joy, and yet their desperate need for attention and affection is overwhelming at times.

We've taught lessons, made music, done crafts, helped feed them, played with them, and loved all over them. There is one who has especially stolen my heart, little Miss Naomi. She makes a beeline for me every time she sees me and has spent many hours on my hip. Leaving her will be awful. Justin says I am not to cause an international incident by trying to bring her home, but we shall see what happens. :)

The guys have been busy with their pastor and worldview trainings. The response has been tremendous and we're praying for the impact to have a wide ripple effect. Read our mission blog for more info. Missionkorogocho.blogspot.com

Today, the girls and I experienced our first kenyan worship service. Woot woot! It was joyful dancing and singing and of course we joined right in. Loved it!!! If I bust out some new moves at CBC, just follow along.

Kind of last minute, the day before we left, I discovered that Verizon would unlock my phone while I'm out of the country. So I was able to buy a local sim card and minutes. It's been such a joy to talk to Justin and the kids for about six cents a minute! The connection is crystal clear. Yesterday, I figured out how to get a data connection, also reasonably priced. It seems to work pretty reliably. Tonight, though, when we tried to run three devices tethered to my phone as a hot spot, it was really slow. Still, I'm grateful to be in contact with my fam. It makes the time apart much more bearable.

One other big deal... We have hot water at the place we're staying. We didn't expect it, so it's like a little gift from God every day. Of course, I didn't discover the secret little water heater switch until I had already taken one shower so cold that I had to bite my lip to keep from screaming. Thanks Gerald for schooling me on how to work the thing.

Tomorrow we will visit people in the slum in the morning and do a crusade in the slum in the afternoon and evening. The field is ripe for harvest. I fluctuate between feeling so blessed to be here and feeling completely overwhelmed by my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews